Parent University – Parent Leaders Academy is a program designed to empower parents with the knowledge and tools necessary to become effective advocates for their children. Parents participate in six workshop sessions that familiarize them with HISD and learn best practices for advocating for their children’s education. Sessions are being led by the Houston Area Urban League (HAUL) and St. James Place. Participants are also provided babysitting, transportation, meals, and incentives.
HISD Parent Leaders Academy
- 4-6 cohorts in selected communities
- Specific outcome deliverables: At least 5 sessions
- 25-40 parents must complete the program per cohort
- Attendance or virtual completion of every session
Eliminate/Reduce all barriers to participation: Dinner, transportation, babysitting
- Work with key community members to select and enroll families: Provide additional insights on the information presented
- Weave in the Dual-Capacity building framework into the sessions
- Graduation in December 2022 and/or May 2023 for the groups
Parent’s Dreams and Aspirations for their Children and Education
Challenges to Equity and Quality Education
Questions? We are happy to help!